No Products in the Cart
How to Pick the Right Mattress Thickness?
In most cases, a mattress can range from 2 inches thick to over 16 inches. You might be confused about such questions: what mattress thickness is right for me? And what things should I consider? Is there a standard mattress height / thickness, etc? That’s why we are here to support you. In this guide, we will list a thickness chart for you and show you the factors should be considered, helping you make a right decision.
Generally, mattresses can be classified into 5 types for different demands and uses. And there is a simple chart for clarification.
|Low Profile Mattress||2 to 5 inches||Cribs;
|Slim Mattress||5 to 8 inches||Children or petite adults;
Some sleepers with limited mobility.
|Standard Mattress||8 to 12 inches||Most adult sleepers;
Back and stomach sleepers;
Guest and adult bedrooms.
|Thick Profile Mattress||12 to 16 inches||All types of sleepers (including the side sleeper);
|Extra Thick Mattress||16+ inches||Typically unnecessary for most sleepers.|
Things to Consider When Picking Your Mattress Thickness
Picking the most suitable mattress thickness, there are some important factors that you have to consider.
Total bed height
Ideally, the total height of the bed, including the mattress and the bed base (foundation or bed frame), should not exceed 25 inches. Because it will be convenient for you to get in or out the bed.
Therefore, if your bedroom has a small space and you need to increase the height of your bed for more extra bottom space for storage, then a 10-inch mattress (Novilla Bliss 10" or Serenity 10”) is very suitable for you, providing you the best support and comfort. If your bed base is no more than 13 inches, a 12-inch mattress can provide good durability and is suitable for most people.
Your sleep position determines what mattress thicknesses you can benefit from.
- If you are sleeping on your back, there will be more pressure on your lower back and shoulders. So you are typically suitable for mattresses around 8 to 10 inches thick that offer you contouring support for your lower back and shoulders to align your spine naturally.
- If you are sleeping on your side, there will be sharp pressure points on your shoulders and hips. So you need a thicker mattress that offers pressure-relieving comfort, making a mattress between 12 and 14 inches the perfect choice.
- If you are sleeping on your stomach, with lying face-down, you may feel trapped on a soft mattress. You need a thinner and firmer mattress, roughly ranging from 10 to 12 inches thick, to prevent sagging too much and offer responsive support for your hips to in line with your shoulders.
Generally speaking, you need to choose a mattress thickness that suits your body type, ensuring you get enough support and comfort all night long. Because your body weight impacts the pressure you put onto your mattress.
- If you are lightweight sleeper, weighing 130 pounds or less, 12-inch mattress or thicker is an ideal choice. It can fully conform to one’s body and relieve pressure and pain. And the thinner mattress may be too hard for you.
- If your weight is around 130 to 230 pounds, you can use a mattress that is 10 to 12 inches thick, which allows your body evenly distribute on the mattress, achieving a balance of comfort and support.
- If you weigh 230 pounds or more, you may need a mattress that is 12 to 14 inches thick to feel comfortable. And its comfort layer should be at least 6 inches thick so that you won't touch the spring layer or bottom due to sag. In addition, a mattress thicker than 14 inches may not be suitable for you. You may find it difficult to get out the bed because the bed is too soft.
A perfect mattress should be able to provide you with optimal support and comfort. When choosing between different thicknesses, you should fully consider these three factors. I believe you can find a mattress that suits your personal needs.
You’d Also Join Our Facebook Group
Novilla Facebook group is ready to share sleeping things with you, including sleeping tips, mattress or bedding essentials guides, and some exclusive discounts of Novilla products, etc. In addition, you are also welcomed to share your ideas or questions about sleeping health with others, and we can have a further discussion together. May you click here to learn more.
This article is for informational purposes and should not be a substitute for medical advice from your doctor or other professionals.